Thursday, April 3, 2008

Little boys are so sweet....


Ok, I'm going to gush a little bit, but I really love being a mom, and I really love having a little boy. I was getting worried that I hug and kiss him too much, that it might somehow affect the type of man that he grows up to be, but I read this article the other night in a parenting magazine that set my mind at ease. Apparently it will affect the type of man he grows up to be - in a positive way.

The article talked about the differences between raising boys and girls, and according to the author, there are differences. Because there is a gender stereotype in our society about boys being tough and athletic, we are likely to miss the vulnerabilities of little boys. We might let him cry a little longer before picking him up and confort him for less time. Little boys need just as much loving and hugging as little girls. By showing our little boys how to get and give affection, they will grow up to be more resourceful and secure adults.

Isaac is really into kissing right now - not just the kiss on the cheek, but the full-on mouth kiss - and not just with Mom & Dad, just about anyone who will ask for one. (and including the cat, who doesn't ask for one...) A few weeks ago we were in church, and during one of the hymns, Isaac started kissing me and wouldn't stop. He was holding onto my face and the more I giggled the harder he kissed. I started to get a little embarassed, as we were drawing attention from others around us. Instead, I just decided to savor that moment. There will come a time in the not too distant future where he is embarrased to kiss his mom in public.....or not - if I have anything to do about it!

No comments: